Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Laundry Room: Problem

The bane of my existence is...laundry.

Now, you would be correct in thinking that, if laundry is my biggest problem in life, I've got it pretty good. It isn't truly the biggest problem that I face, but it sure piles into giant mountains often enough that it seems that way.

I've never been great with laundry, but getting married turned my little laundry life upside down. I had done my now husband's laundry while we were dating, on occasion, and I continued to do my own while I was in college...but beginning to do both of our laundry at the same time was more challenging than I expected.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think I adjusted relatively well to the laundry of two, and didn't get behind too often. However, in the fall of 2007, we were robbed. I don't honestly know what most robberies are like. I only know that the cops who came to investigate and look over our apartment compared ours to what it looked like when drug dealers rob other drug dealers' houses. For the record, neither my husband nor I were, or ever have been, drug dealers. That being said, they pulled the cushions off our couch, they dug through our freezer, they upended all of our drawers and pawed through our clothes, they dug out boxes and bins from the dark recesses of our closets (they were pilfering our home for a long time). I have never felt so violated. They touched almost everything we owned, just to see what they could find that would turn a profit.
This was the beginning of my problems with laundry. I wanted to wash every. item. of clothes. that we had. I wanted to wash away the bad experience, the fear, the violation...but, we were packing up everything. We wanted out of that place as fast as we could. It was perhaps the most haphazard moving job of all time. We had people help us out in numerous ways, and I will forever be grateful. But, I've basically been behind on laundry ever since. Yep. Six-ish years. :sigh:

I figured that, if I could optimize our laundry room for function, as well as make it "pretty," perhaps I wouldn't begrudge every second I had to spend in there, or doing the things related to that room.

I do realize that I'm incredibly fortunate to have a laundry room, to have a washer and dryer, and to have enough clothes that I have a hard time keeping up with getting them clean. I really do. However, my inability to be more organized and disciplined in taking advantage of those blessings that I have frustrates me (and my hubby) to no end.

That is most of the "why." Now, I'll show you what I have to work with.

Here is the laundry room when we bought the house:




As you can see, it's a decent size, has lots of storage, and had lots of potential.

I painted it, using Behr's Opal Silk. It's a nice, tranquil color, and looks (for lack of a better word) "happy." Don't you agree?





Sorry about the lighting -- it's a little wacky. Hopefully you get the idea. 
Anyway, tune in next time to see what I've done with it since! I hope I have some progress pictures tucked away somewhere that I forgot about, but I'll definitely take one of where it is now and where it ends up, once it's there. Hoping to have it finished by the end of next week! Hip-hip-hooray for organization!

No comments:

Post a Comment