Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Unscheduled Home Improvement: Solution

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, we were in desperate need of a functioning kitchen faucet. As The Husband was going to be otherwise occupied, I consulted an extremely handy friend of ours, who said it would be easier to replace the entire faucet, rather than fool around trying to replace the washer. I did some online browsing, and found a faucet that was an improvement over the one we had, was in stock at our local hardware store, was a reasonable price, and had good reviews.

A day passed, and I was in all out pseudo pioneer woman mode. Obviously, it's not nearly as rough as the pioneers had it, but I had such a pile of dishes to catch up on already, and then no simple method to get them clean. So, I resorted to washing them in the bath tub.
This situation made me so thankful and appreciative for all of the modern comforts that we have...seriously...so incredibly grateful.

But, a day or two of washing up things in the tub was enough for me. I swung by the hardware store with my son (who is freaking adorable, by the way, and loves the carts that look like cars -- he had a blast on our little trip), walked in and found the sink I had selected online, paid for it, and went home.

Getting the old faucet out was a nightmare. Lots of the bolts had rusted a bit, or corroded, and were very difficult to loosen, much less remove entirely. It took me close to an hour to get the lines detached, the sprayer out, and the faucet removed. I had an extreme amount of trouble with the base for the sprayer. The plastic "washer" that held it in would not budge, no matter how I tried to get it to.Fortunately, The Husband ended up coming home right when I was the most discouraged and frustrated, and he came to my aid! He had to grapple with it for quite some time as well, but he was victorious! Woohoo!

I then opened the new faucet (soooo shiny!), and followed the illustrated instructions to install it. I think it might have taken me half an hour total to get it in. The only difficulty was with the same part that had plagued me previously, the base to the sprayer. It was incredibly difficult to secure it alone. The Husband was around just long enough to help get me started, and then I was able to finally get it.

Once that part was in, the rest was pretty easy. Put this part here, connect this to this, move part A to align with part B, etc. and, VOILA! Our new faucet is installed and ready to go! Yee-haw!
It looks amazing and, most importantly, it works!



Because of the whole faucet fiasco, I was also given an opportunity to organize underneath the sink. I plan on installing a child lock later on this evening, but I laid down some contact paper, and put everything in a more functional place.


It looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment