Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Au Jus?

At some point in our relationship, My Love and I started going to Subway. When we went, he would order the roast beef sandwich with au jus. I am not super carnivorous. I love bacon, I love roast the way my mom makes it, I enjoyed brisket that our pastor's wife made, I eat chicken, and I really like turkey. I eat other "types" of meat, and that's not to say I hate all other forms of it (so, if I've eaten with you, and haven't named off your meal, please don't be offended -- thinking through all meals I've eaten in a lifetime is just more time than I want to dedicate to this post -- I'm sure you understand). However, I was completely unfamiliar with this "au jus" that accompanied the Subway roast beef sandwich. I, therefore, took My Love's information as fact. He told me it was called "ahh huice." I spent an unknown quantity of time calling it that. Mercifully, I don't believe that I was ever around anyone else when I did so.
Years later, we were out somewhere, and someone mentioned au jus, only they said, "ō-ˈzhü(s)." I distinctly remember my jaw dropping, my eyes widening, and myself swiveling to gape at my husband, who had not yet realized the enormity of what had just occurred.
"Au jus?!?!?!" I said (pronounced the correct way). "Au jus?!?!? As in, 'ahh huice?!?!?'"
BUSTED!!!

I tell you this story because I was given an excellent recipe for roast beef au jus from an online acquaintance and, every time I even think "au jus," I "pronounce" it the same way My Love initially taught me. I've only made it once, but am making it again now -- and my husband is quite excited. Should he ever doubt my love for him, he only need remember that I've handled raw meat on numerous occasions to make his meals -- I hate touching raw meat (Phil Robertson would undoubtedly refer to me as a "yuppie")! Now that I've revealed more of my bizarre quirks than you were ever looking to know, I thought I'd share the recipe, in case any of you were interested! I am far from a gifted chef...I'm afraid culinary skills must skip generations, or something, as it is definitely not my strong suit. This recipe, however, is made in a crock pot, which means that I can do it, and so can you!!!

Crock Pot Roast Beef Sandwiches

3lb chuck roast
3 cups water
1 packet au jus gravy mix (or 3 beef bouillon cubes)
1 tsp garlic powder
1-2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, halved
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 bay leaf (optional)
salt & pepper

Heat oil in black skillet over medium-high heat.
Wash roast and season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Place roast into oiled skillet, lightly brown on all sides.
While browning roast, add halved onion, garlic cloves, water, and bouillon/mix to crock pot.
Transfer roast to crock pot, and toss in bay leaf.
Add salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for 8-10 hours.
Cook until roast falls apart.
Remove onions, garlic, and bay leaf.
Pull roast into strips.
Serve hot with French hamburger buns and sharp cheddar cheese.


Just as an aside, I use the au jus gravy mix, do not include the bay leaf, and am completely not bound by such trivial things as measurements when it comes to garlic powder, salt, or pepper -- I kind of just add them until I think it looks right, haha!

Well, I put this in the crock pot tonight, so My Love should have some delicious food ready for him come lunch time tomorrow! Let me know if you make it, and how you liked it!

1 comment: