Sunday, December 22, 2013

Days of December Christmas Movie Watch-a-thon Day 11: Home Alone

**I lifted this from my former blog. At this time, I was rating the shows/movies I was watching by assigning them lumps of coal or sugar plums, haha!


I have to admit, I'm a little biased on this one. Definitely one of my favorites.
However, upon watching it with "fresh" eyes, I have to say that the McCallisters are the worst family ever. Some of the things the mom said to Kevin the night before they left were terrible.

Kevin: Everybody in this family hates me!
Kate: Then maybe you should ask Santa for a new family.
Kevin: I don't want another family. I don't want any family. Families suck!
Kate: Just stay up there. I don't want to see you again for the rest of the night.

Not that any family is perfect, and I think the lines in this film are pretty funny...but that's just some crazy stuff to say to an 8 year old, if you ask me.

"A lovely cheese pizza, just for me." - my brother and I used to say that all. the. time.
Come to think of it, there are lots of things in this movie that my brother and I used to say a lot.

I do have to say that the appearance of John Candy was much more meaningful to me this time around, now that I've seen Planes, Trains, & Automobiles.

Of course, the best part of the movie are the traps Kevin sets for the "wet burglars." Pure brilliance, if impractical and unlikely. They still make me laugh :D

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I completely forgot that "Marv" could scream like that! I love the whole sketch with the tarantula -- genius!

Overall, I'm not sure what I'd rate this film. It definitely earns mad props for having a child actor as its star and it not being unbearably irritating and cheesy. I sort of hate to hit the 5 sugar plum level already, but I really like this film. The music is excellent too. Let's give it a solid 4.5 sugar plums out of 5, so as to have a higher goal to aim for ;)
(though I reserve the right to come back and change the rating as I see fit)

No comments:

Post a Comment