Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Days of December Christmas Movie Watch-a-thon Day 16: Meet Me in St. Louis

**I lifted this from my former blog. At this time, I was rating the shows/movies I was watching by assigning them lumps of coal or sugar plums, haha!


I watched a movie during the day today. Today, I watched Meet Me in St. Louis, which is one of my favorite older movies.



Technically, it's not a Christmas movie. However, it sort of takes you through all the seasons, and the film ends following a Christmas scene. Also, a little trivia here, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" was originally written for this film. I figured, if anything, that alone qualified it as a Christmas movie. So, if you've ever enjoyed that song, you have this movie to thank, in a way.

Truth be told, I watched this film as I was cleaning the house this afternoon, so it wasn't an all-attention-on-the-movie sort of viewing experience, but I still love it. This evening, once I had gotten home, I started a fire, settled on my cushy couch, and started it again, with the intent of writing a more thorough review of it. However, My Love came home right at that time, took one glance at the screen, and grimaced. Minutes later, as the cast is introduced through a montage of them singing "Meet Me in St. Louis," he said, "This looks like the worst movie ever," and promptly took it out of the XBox. :sigh: So, no full review.

However, I've seen it enough times to know that it's just great. To be fair, the dialogue from one of the child actors is a little disturbing. Her dolls are constantly plagued with fatal diseases, and she buries them in the backyard. There's a lot of sister-sister-pep-talks, where the oldest sisters bolster each other up to pursue men so they can snag one, which sort of reminds me of Pride and Prejudice. It's not as witty or clever as P&P, nor as timeless, but just the whole bent on catching a man theme. There's a fair amount of cheese in this movie, but cheese I like.

If you like classic movies, with a hint of musical mixed in for good measure, you'll probably like this one :) Judy Garland is brilliant in this one. Another trivia tidbit: the film was directed by Vincente Minnelli, and it was where he and Judy fell in love. :)
(It's funny...to post those links, I went to imdb, where I read Judy's biography. Now her romance with Vincente doesn't seem as romantic as it did...I had no idea she had so many lovers!)

As far as rating, I'll give this movie 4 sugar plums out of 5. It's really well done and fun, but I know it won't be as accessible to as many people or age groups as some other classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment