Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Days of December Christmas Movie Watch-a-thon - Day 3: Die Hard

So, as a direct result of my posting about my Days of December Christmas Watch-a-thon plans, a friend informed me that Die Hard was playing at one of our local movie theaters! So, My Love and I got a fabulous opportunity to have a date night (our second this week -- how insane is that?!?!?), and see Die Hard on the big screen!


It was so much fun! I don't know if it was the big screen, if it was the way it all panned out with our life right now (it was such a nice, much-needed distraction), or that it is a "cult classic," and everyone watching already knew and loved the film, but I had a great time. Oh, and the fact that they serve real food at this particular theater...like, chips and queso, and pizza...that probably had something to do with it too.

As for the movie itself, it's not really a Christmas movie. If I'm going to pick on poor Thomas for not having Christmas themes, only Christmas elements, then I have to be fair and acknowledge that Die Hard is a film that takes place during Christmas time. At best, Christmas is a backdrop or minor character in the film -- but, for some reason, it still makes my "Christmas movie" list.

The movie is about a New York City cop, who is visiting his wife (from whom he is separated) in Los Angeles for Christmas. He meets her at her office building, which is besieged by terrorists. He slips away, unnoticed, and spends the remainder of the film thwarting their plans with true 80's action bravado.

It is rather crass, with quite a bit of blood (albeit bright pinkish red), violence, and plenty of swearing. But, really, who couldn't love a good action movie with Bruce Willis as the hero? Ooooh, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention Alan Rickman as the dastardly villain! (I do confess that, upon his entrance to the film, I started singing in my head, "Snape, Snape, Severus Snape...")
Again, it's not technically a Christmas movie, but it's going to remain on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment