Saturday, December 21, 2013

Days of December Christmas Movie Watch-a-thon Day 10: Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

**I lifted this from my former blog. At this time, I was rating the shows/movies I was watching by assigning them lumps of coal or sugar plums, haha!


Tonight, I noticed that hulu had just added Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. I don't believe I've ever seen this Christmas special. From the introduction, I believe it's going to be "special" indeed.


(these are all a bit of "stream of consciousness" comments - I just wrote things as I watched)

First off, I was relieved to see that the introduction was just a strange way to introduce a "play within a play" sort of set-up for this movie.

Can I just say something? I really miss "old school" animation. I mean, of course, digital images and animations are quite impressive...but there's just something magical about the old way. I'm loving just watching the snow drift across the screen. Brings back my childhood ambition of becoming an animator.

So far, I'm greatly enjoying the dialogue in this film. I find myself giggling quite a bit.

Okay, so I'm at the part of the movie with the Ghost of Christmas Past, and I have to be an evil, heartless, terrible excuse for a girl: I cannot stand these children singing. Or, more likely, these adults trying to sound like children singing. I would imagine, if I knew the "children" singing, I would think it was endearing and adorable. However, I do not know these people...and the singing is grating on my nerves.

Um, as usual, the Ghost of Christmas Future is very creepy. I remember watching the Mickey Christmas Carol, and freaking out about the whole Ghost of Christmas Future segment.

The "despicables" who sing a song about stealing Scrooge's things are rather disturbing, but their song has a surprisingly strong vocabulary (as in intellectual, not as in offensive).

Hmm...that was interesting. Right after the most disturbing bits, where it's revealed that Tiny Tim is dead, Scrooge is dead, and he (Scrooge) is left alone in the graveyard, they cut to a sort of intermission in the play within the movie. It was a really great way to cut from the despair of the scene and remind the audience that it wasn't real. I liked that a lot.
Granted, as a child, I had very many issues and fears about death and dying (still have some to this day), so those scenes were the most disturbing to me. So, it was nice to be able to "step out" of the morbidity of that particular sequence.

HAHAHAHAHA! I love Scrooge's wardrobe solution! ^_^

Overall, I think I would rate that at 3 sugar plums out of 5. It was pleasant, enjoyable, had that old-school classic charm to it, but it didn't have quite the same impact on me as other cult favorites. I often wonder if things become our favorites because we saw them as children, or if they're our favorites because they're better. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment